If you’re looking for something simple and summery to bake, try this easy lemon raspberry cake! It has fresh raspberries and yummy jam swirled throughout and hints of lemon bursting through every bite. This sweet and lemony sour cream pound cake is the perfect treat as the weather warms up!
This post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you choose to make a purchase using my link. It’s okay – I love and use all of these products, and you will too!
I’m so glad that it’s June and things are finally starting to warm up here in Colorado! Although, the mountains did get snow last night… it’s not out of the ordinary for it to snow here in June! Last year, we got snowed on during our first camping trip. At the end of June. Yikes.
All this snow talk makes me long for something bright and yummy, like this lemony sour cream cake with jammy swirls of raspberry throughout! It’s so delicious, easy to make and you could totally serve this for breakfast! It would be amazing with a cup of coffee and some whipped cream on the side.
How to make Lemon Raspberry Swirl Cake
One secret ingredient that I have been using a lot lately in my cakes is sour cream. It really is a game-changer! It adds a little extra bit of fat and moisture, giving you the most perfectly textured cake!
I especially like to use sour cream in baking because I live at a higher altitude with drier air. This translates into dry baked goods. Boo. Sour cream really is a lifesaver when it comes to making cakes! You can also use Greek yogurt if you prefer, but make sure it is full-fat Greek yogurt! The fat content is the key to getting extra moisture into your baked goods.
For this lemon raspberry swirl cake, you really could substitute any type of fruit that you like! Blueberries would be delicious or even a mix of different kinds of berries. Use whatever fruit you have on hand and make it your own!
You’ll also want to get a high-quality jam to swirl throughout the batter. It really adds a yummy and sweet touch to the cake! I like using Bonne Maman jams because they have so many fun flavors, but use whatever you have on hand! Homemade jam would be amazing in this cake.
Lastly, you can top this lemon raspberry cake with a drizzle of lemon glaze or leave it plain! Either way, you will have the perfect summery treat to indulge in. Maybe try topping it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Doesn’t that sound perfect right now?
For Extra Lemon Flavor…
This sour cream cake contains lemon zest which will give it a delicious hint of lemon flavor! But, if you really want the lemony goodness to shine through, add 1/4 tsp. of this Rodelle Lemon Extract to the batter. It is sooooo good and gives desserts a very yummy and natural tasting lemon flavor. Try it out if you feel so inclined! I also use this lemon extract in my Easy Lemon Cookies – they taste like lemon cake!
I hope you are having a great start to your summer! As always, let me know if you make this cake! I love seeing what you are baking.
Other Summer Recipes – Check These Out!
Lemon Raspberry Swirl Cake
For the Lemon Raspberry Swirl Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp lemon extract (optional – my favorite is linked below!)
- 3 large eggs (room temperature)
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1½ cups frozen or fresh raspberries (or berries of your choice)
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam (or jam of your choice)
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
For the Lemon Raspberry Swirl Cake
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter, ½ cup of sugar and lemon zest on medium-high until light and fluffy. Add the sour cream, vanilla and optional lemon extract and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time on medium speed. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix. Using a spatula, fold in 1¼ cup of the raspberries.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Using a knife, gently swirl in 1 tablespoon of jam, leaving a few streaks of jam throughout the batter. Add the remaining batter and swirl the remaining 1 tablespoon of jam. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup of raspberries and 1 tablespoon of sugar on top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the center is set. Let cool before glazing.
For the Lemon Glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. If needed, thin glaze with 1 tablespoon of water at a time. Drizzle over cooled cake, slice and enjoy!
- You can substitute full-fat Greek yogurt for the sour cream if desired
- Lemon extract is optional, but will give this cake a delicious lemony flavor!