If you love chocolate and coffee then you need to make these dark chocolate mocha muffins right now! They are loaded with melty dark chocolate chips, dutch cocoa and a generous amount of espresso. These mocha muffins are a great snack or a decadent breakfast treat!
This post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you choose to make a purchase using my link. It’s okay – I love and use all of these products, and you will too!
You can have chocolate for breakfast as long as it’s in muffin form, right? Right! And to top it all off, these dark chocolate mocha muffins have espresso in them – perfect for breakfast! I love the flavor combination in these muffins. And because this recipe calls for a generous amount of espresso powder, you will really get that mocha/coffee flavor in each yummy bite!
The recipe below is specifically for those living at high altitude (anywhere 3,000 feet above sea level), but I also have instructions for those of you who live at sea level. This recipe yields fluffy muffins with tall muffin tops! Read on for how to make these delicious chocolate muffins, plus a few extra tips on how to make the perfect parchment paper muffin liners at home!
How to Make Dark Chocolate Mocha Muffins
Surprisingly, there is very little cocoa powder in these muffins but oooooh man, they are still so chocolaty! The key here is the espresso powder. Coffee really enhances the flavor of chocolate making it taste much more bold and rich!
In this recipe, you’ll be using equal amounts of Dutch-process cocoa powder and espresso powder. Here are my favorites:
Please be sure that you use Dutch-process cocoa powder in these dark chocolate mocha muffins! Because this recipe calls for baking powder only, you will need dutch processed cocoa. Dutch-process cocoa powder goes through a processing method that takes away its acidity, so it does not react with baking soda. Usually, you will find this type of cocoa powder paired only with baking powder or a mix of baking powder and baking soda.
Lastly, I like to use super dark chocolate chips (like 69% cocoa). They aren’t too sweet and are perfect if you love dark chocolate! Godiva sells a really yummy dark chocolate chip, which you can find at most grocery stores!
How to Make Parchment Paper Liners
So to be honest, I was not planning on making these dark chocolate mocha muffins. I was planning to make a vanilla bean applesauce cake (coming soon!) but didn’t have the right ingredients. And I was lazy. And didn’t want to go to the grocery store.
Instead, I thought I would whip up some easy peasy muffins! Except oops, no muffin liners. And that part about being lazy and not wanting to the grocery store? Yeah, still didn’t wanna. So, I came up with the perfect solution for these dark chocolate mocha muffins – homemade parchment paper liners. And they turned out so cute!
Here’s how to make them:
- Take a sheet of parchment paper and measure out as many 5 inch by 5 inch squares that will fit on the sheet.
- Cut out each square and place into your muffin tin. I like to use a small measuring cup to smash them down. You can fold them a bit too to make sure they stay in there.
- Fill with batter, bake and show off your adorable bakery-style muffins to everyone!
See? Simple. I don’t think I will ever need to by muffin liners again!
Instructions If You Do Not Live at High Altitude
This recipe was adapted from a cookbook that I bought in Steamboat Springs, Colorado – Ski Town USA! All of the baked goods in this cookbook, including this muffin recipe, are adjusted for high altitude. If you do not live at a high elevation (above 3,000 feet), then please make these adjustments for your muffins:
- Use only 1 large egg
- Increase baking powder to 2 tsp.
- Reduce baking time by 3-5 minutes
I hope that you enjoy this easy little dark chocolate mocha muffin recipe! During the chillier months, I love a good muffin in the morning.
If you are interested in another cozy breakfast recipe, check out my Vanilla Bean Scones with Gooey Cinnamon Filling!
As always, be sure to tag me in your photos on Instagram if you make my recipe or use #bucketsofyum in your photos! I love to see what you are baking.
Dark Chocolate Mocha Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsweetened dutch process cocoa powder (favorite linked below!)
- 2 tbsp espresso powder (favorite linked below!)
- 2 tbs hot water (to dissolve espresso powder)
- ¾ cup milk
- 6 tbsp canola oil (or oil of choice)
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup extra dark chocolate chips (I like Godiva 69% cocoa chips)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease muffin tin or line with liners, or homemade parchment paper liners (instructions in the post!)
- Dissolve instant espresso powder in hot water and set aside.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking cocoa in a large bowl.
- Mix the dissolved coffee, milk, canola oil, egg and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Gently add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add the chocolate chips and stir just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Pour or spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. I like to fill the cups about ¾ full. Sprinkle the top with sugar or extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy warm!
- Increase baking powder to 2 tsp.
- reduce egg to 1 large egg
- Reduce baking time by 3 to 5 minutes